Four by five, Flickr flak, and farrago
I went to load my 4x5 holders with some b&w film. Seems I only have four sheets left. It only took a little over three months to go through the 200 sheets of film my sister procured for me. I'll have to plan out my last four shots well.
I've been finding Flickr to be somewhat disappointing lately, to the point that I'm seriously considering deleting my account. Most people are worried about the login issue. I don't really care about that so much; I have two Yahoo accounts already. I'm more concerned about Yahoo's use of my photos for commercial purposes in their "Brand Universe" concept. I'm not posting my photos on Flickr to provide free content for Yahoo advertisers. It's unlikely any of my photos would be suitable for their Brand Universe, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I feel particularly disappointed by the Flickr staff who wrongly believe this to be legal "fair use". (The post following the one linked by Linus Gelber does an adequate job describing how they're wrong.) Their "it's legal but we're better than that" argument doesn't mean anything to me either. Just because they say that now doesn't mean they won't change their mind in the future, or be told to change their mind by higher-ups. I also don't believe I should have to turn off API or make my photos friends only to avoid this. I trust these people to host my photos, and they're betraying that trust. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is why they're requiring the change in logon, to get us "old skool" users under the Yahoo terms of service instead of the old Flickr terms. Maybe it's time to get a paid AltPhotos account, or wrest back control of my website.
I went to the Deerhoof concert last Friday. They were an hour late opening the doors, and the opening acts weren't particularly good. But Deerhoof more than made up for it by putting on an amazing show. They were so good that I was barely distracted by the wasted blonde girl making out with the tall geek girl in front of me. Wednesday night I'll be seeing of Montreal, and next Tuesday it's Camera Obscura.
I'm starting to sleep through the night more often. But I still don't feel rested in the morning.
I've been finding Flickr to be somewhat disappointing lately, to the point that I'm seriously considering deleting my account. Most people are worried about the login issue. I don't really care about that so much; I have two Yahoo accounts already. I'm more concerned about Yahoo's use of my photos for commercial purposes in their "Brand Universe" concept. I'm not posting my photos on Flickr to provide free content for Yahoo advertisers. It's unlikely any of my photos would be suitable for their Brand Universe, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I feel particularly disappointed by the Flickr staff who wrongly believe this to be legal "fair use". (The post following the one linked by Linus Gelber does an adequate job describing how they're wrong.) Their "it's legal but we're better than that" argument doesn't mean anything to me either. Just because they say that now doesn't mean they won't change their mind in the future, or be told to change their mind by higher-ups. I also don't believe I should have to turn off API or make my photos friends only to avoid this. I trust these people to host my photos, and they're betraying that trust. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is why they're requiring the change in logon, to get us "old skool" users under the Yahoo terms of service instead of the old Flickr terms. Maybe it's time to get a paid AltPhotos account, or wrest back control of my website.
I went to the Deerhoof concert last Friday. They were an hour late opening the doors, and the opening acts weren't particularly good. But Deerhoof more than made up for it by putting on an amazing show. They were so good that I was barely distracted by the wasted blonde girl making out with the tall geek girl in front of me. Wednesday night I'll be seeing of Montreal, and next Tuesday it's Camera Obscura.
I'm starting to sleep through the night more often. But I still don't feel rested in the morning.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home