oh crap
Somehow I've managed to fry my new computer. I've been trying a couple Linux live CDs, Ubuntu and Knoppix. They both would boot with no problems, and Knoppix was able to mount my C drive, and then it would boot back into Windows when I restarted. Windows XP wasn't burning CDs, so I tried burning one with Knoppix. It burned it with no problem, but now I can't boot back into Windows. I just get this weird Y(|)Y(|). (|) being an infinity type symbol that I can't find in character map. I can boot from CDs still. Heather came over and she tried booting from the XP CD and restoring the MBR. But that did nothing. Knoppix can still access my data, but I can't boot from the damn thing. I have 40 GB of photos to rescue from there.
Fortunately I still have the old computer running. So I'm still able to connect to the internuts. For the three people besides Heather who read this thing, do you have any ideas how to fix this thing?
Fortunately I still have the old computer running. So I'm still able to connect to the internuts. For the three people besides Heather who read this thing, do you have any ideas how to fix this thing?


3 Comments:
Ask Ben, Jamie or Hendrik to help you. They may know what the problem is.
I'd send them the link to this but I'm not sure if you want to share your blog with more peeps.
I think Ben is a programmer - why don't you ask him?!
Oh yeah, that doesn't sound good but at least all your data is ok. I'd copy the data off to another disk (or burn the data to a DVD/CD - and be damned sure the copy works before going further) and then reinstall Windows. Why a live CD would give you problems when not using the CD is beyond me, but I could see ways it could happen.
40 GB... that's quite a few DVDs. Copying the data off the computer via the network or via USB would be ways to go.
Post a Comment
<< Home